How to make passive income as a fitness trainer
4 minute read
Written by Dan Harvey, Co-founder & Chief Revenue Officer
Is it possible to work 28 hours in a day?
Do you ever feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day? No matter how hard (or long) you work, you can never see enough clients get off the hamster wheel and start living the lifestyle you deserve?
Do you sometimes wish you had a double that could help you multiply your output and help you earn more money? Well, a twin like this does exist just not in the form you think!
Being a fitness trainer is tough. It can be difficult to keep your head above water and make enough money to enjoy life. There are only so many hours in the day that you can spend selling your services. You’ll soon realize you’re exchanging your time for money — not good!
A few quick fixes to try and remedy this situation include: working more (yuk!), or charging more per hour. You could see some quicks wins following this advice but you’ll find these strategies unmaintainable in the long run.
So, what is the secret to a successful fitness business? You need to create a passive income stream that generates income on its own, without your direct input!
What is passive income?
Passive income huh!? What’s that?
Passive income is when a business automatically generates money for you without any direct involvement from yourself. A few examples of passive income are; Rent from a second home, royalties from a book, dividends from a business you have shares in, or a website or affiliate program.
The kicker to passive income is that it makes you money without costing you time.
It gives you the freedom to put time and energy into other projects and goals. There’s also the added bonus of choosing your own hours, having holidays when you want, and traveling to your heart’s content.
How can a fitness trainer generate a passive income stream?
Passive income streams come in many shapes and sizes and each has its pros and cons. Below are a few passive income streams you might want to consider for your fitness business.
- Rent out your studio: This method might require some management but if you can sublet your studio for an hourly rate it could be an excellent source of passive income. Just make sure you’re legally allowed to sublet the space if you don’t own it.
- Setting up your own online store: If you already have a website that gets consistent visitors adding a store to it is an easy way to monetize that traffic. You can sell equipment, branded gear, or supplements that will help your visitors when they’re doing your training program. Shipping physical products can be tricky though so make sure you’ve got your supply chain up and running before your store goes live.
- Selling online web courses: Creating an e-book or web course is a good way to earn passive income. Once you’ve done the leg work of producing the course you can sell it online indefinitely.
The above suggestions are fine. But I think the best way for a fitness trainer to earn a passive income is through developing their own mobile app.
Why you should use Passion.io
Passion.io is a no-code app creation platform. Our patented tool, PassionApps, uses a drag and drop app builder that allows fitness pros to quickly, easily & cheaply develop their own fitness app.
I’ve been helping fitness pros develop mobile apps for more than 4 years. The freedom an app has given them has changed their lives. Some feedback I’ve received from trainers includes:
- No more 4 am starts to see clients
- The ability to train people globally makes my PT business scalable
- I get to spend more time with my family
Creating an app gives you the passive income stream you deserve and lets you pick and choose your clients. It puts control of your life back in your hands.
Unlike other passive income streams, it’s infinitely scalable. There’s no limit on how many paying subscribers you can have using your app. You don’t need to worry about delivering physical products and e-learning apps are more accessible for gym-goers than web-based courses.